25.5.10

Interlude: Brief Encounters

There was a point when I kinda wondered - what's the point of meeting up with all these people? Is it because I can? To make myself feel "connected" to people around the world?

I think it finally actually hit me yesterday, when I bumped into Lisa randomly in the park ("LISA! LISA! HEY! OVER HERE!"). Apparently I was yelling to her really loudly. But that enthusiasm is part of my point - it was really exciting to see her and it would be really cool if we both lived in the same city and could have more encounters like that, walking through the park or hanging out and eating bitterbollen with drinks on a sunny afternoon on a bar patio. Lisa's a really awesome person and I miss our hang out times at Hipolito Yrigoyen in Buenos Aires. Ditto for Kamilla and Marlies. And Anil and Floor in Cordoba/Mendoza.

In a way, it is a bit of a tease - these are people who I'd love to hang out with on a regular basis, but because of distance and circumstance, I only get to see them for a little bit - for some just a couple of hours after not seeing them for a year and a half! But I guess even those couple of hours are important. It's staying in touch, in contact. Keeping the ties.

And then I guess we can always go back to being together, again and again. Life is pretty long. If I stay healthy and no surprises come up, I've got another 55 years or so of adventures to go.

I think I could fit in a few more meetings. :D

No comments: